Wednesday, May 2, 2007

I WON!!!

I won FreeLotto! I never even bought a ticket!! Maybe that is the key to winning the lottery, don't buy a ticket, and wait for them to come to you. This one has to be legit - it is in London! Why, all they need is my name, address, bank information, social security number [I wonder how they know about that in England?] annual income, last tax return [to establish identity of course] occupation and spouse and children's names. I can't believe I finally won the lottery.

Why, I will quit my job today and make sure my spouse does the same. I called the number and gave him all the information they asked for, he was very nice. Well, I made up the social security number using an '800' number - I think it was a phone number for sex line I saw in the back of FM magazine. There was little pause when I told him I was a Treasury Agent in charge of internet fraud schemes. He told me he had another call, and promised to call me back. We never got to my bank information so they could deposit the check. I guess we'll deal with that when he calls back.

One has to wonder - is anyone that stupid? Paypal, Tax Refund schemes, if there is a way to get your identity they'll steal it. The one scheme I have NOT seen yet is selling people goods for very low prices and using the stolen identities to deliver the goods to the first few dozen people so no one gets suspicious. Guess that might actually be work, and the scammers definitely want to avoid that.

At this point, anyone who gives any personal information over the internet via an unsolicited email deserves what they get.

The one that took the cake was my credit card company which for real sent out a newsletter that required you to log in to get it. Are they nuts? I called them, and after the usual transferring around finally spoke to someone in fraud and security who had a cow when I told them about it. That was about 6 months ago.

Does ANYONE really ever log in to the fake 'Fifth Third Bank" login? And where is the Fifth Third Bank anyway?

1 comment:

little things said...

I just love it when Paypal sends me emails asking me to log in from their site. Do people really fall for this stuff?